Hands down, these are the best oatmeal raisin cookies I’ve ever eaten. Of course if you don’t like raisins, you can mix in another type of dried fruit – cranberries, dates, blueberries – the possibilities are endless!
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Bake Time: 15 minutes
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (or a mix of half wheat and half white)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 TBS flaxseed (optional)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins, or other dried fruit
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, or other nuts
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. In a large bowl, mix softened butter with the sugar until well mixed. Beat in the egg and vanilla until light and fluffy (you can use a hand mixer for this part but I just used a wooden spoon).
3. In a small bowl, mix all the dry ingredients (flour, oatmeal, baking soda).
4. Add 1/2 of dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Stir slightly. Add the rest of the dry ingredients. Stir slightly. Add the raisins (and walnuts) and finish mixing.
5. Spoon dough onto a greased cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake 10-15 minutes, until golden brown. Cool slightly and remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Let cool a few more minutes before eating to let the egg set (otherwise they fall apart).
So gooey and perfectly sweet!