Herb & Cheese Buttermilk Biscuits
This recipe is a modification of Mom’s Buttermilk Biscuits
- 1 egg
- 185g (3/4 c.) buttermilk
- 65g (1/3 c.) canola oil
- 200g (1 1/2 c.) all purpose flour
- 65g (1/2 c.) wheat flour
- 2 TBS flaxmeal
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 TBS baking powder
- 3 TBS mixed dried herbs (basil, oregano, garlic, black pepper)
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the wet ingredients until well combined. Sift the dry ingredients into the bowl. Fold 10 or 15 times until just combined. Try not to overmix!
2. Sprinkle flour onto a flat surface. Turn all of the dough out and sprinkle lightly with flour. Press the dough flat just a few times until about 1-inch thick.
3. Using a floured biscuit or cookie cutter, cut out biscuits and place them 2-3 inches apart on a baking pan lined with parchment. You can re-press the leftover dough once more before it gets too tough to work with. If you want softer biscuits, bake them closer together; if you want crunchier ones, bake them further apart.
4. Bake at 375F for 15-25m (If they’re thinner and smaller they cook faster than if they’re larger and thicker). The last few minutes, brush with a little bit of melted butter. You know that they’re done when the tops are golden and you can’t see any more shiny dough along the layers on the side.
5. You can eat these right away. We love to slice them in half and serve them with sausage patties, sunny side up eggs and cheese!