Whether you celebrated with a significant other, a best friend, or your family, I hope that everyone had a lovely Valentines Day! Cobalt and I didn’t do anything special this year like we have the past two years while we were dating and engaged (respectively). We really prefer not to brave the crowds when we don’t have to. ;) Instead, we shared a brief breakfast of cinnamon-honey toast, strawberries and whipped cream and orange juice before heading off to our designated occupations. And that evening, we were invited to dinner at his parents’, which is always enjoyable. :)
So…my apologies for not posting this recipe before Heart Day!! This week has been rather busy with homework and events that I didn’t even have a chance to bake them until last night. But for those who also had a busy week and have pushed the holiday to the weekend, here is a delicious breakfast treat for your Saturday or Sunday morning! :) Better than pancakes, I think! (a little heartier too!! ;))
A little background before sharing: This recipe for “I Love You” Scones comes from a Tea Room I worked at back in high-school. For tea parties, the cook and I would serve these oven-fresh with dainty cucumber and ham sandwiches, flavorful tea and the most fabulous cake I’ve ever tasted (Sabrina, if you’re reading this, you know which cake I’m talking about!! ;)). These sweet biscuits were especially fun for kids who couldn’t believe it was as big as their faces!
In addition to tea parties, I also don these scones as Valentine’s Day worthy, since they ARE heart-shaped and all. :)
I hope you enjoy them as much as Cobalt and I do!
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk or water
- 1/4 cup apple sauce (cinnamon or plain)
- 2 TBS butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tsp almond (or vanilla) extract
- 1/3 cup sugar or honey (if using sugar, add first to dry ingredients; if using honey, add first to wet ingredients)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (Today, I used: 1 cup whole wheat, 1 cup all-purpose)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- any kind of jelly
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease a cookie sheet.
- In a medium bowl, mix all wet ingredients (egg, milk, applesauce, butter, vanilla and [honey]).
- In a small bowl, mix all dry ingredients (flour, salt, [sugar] and baking powder). Save powdered sugar and jam for later.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
- Using a 1/4 cup measure, scoop dough onto the prepared cookie sheet, 2-3 inches apart.
- Dip your fingers into some flour, then shape the dough into hearts (it might take a few minutes, so don't get frustrated if you don't get it right the first time! :)).
- Dip the back of a 1/2 teaspoon in flour, then use it to make a shallow well in the middle of each heart (you can also use your thumb if you'd rather).
- Then, using a 1/4 teaspoon, spoon some jelly into the well (if it overflows it will bubble all over the scone, so add just enough to fill the well).
- Bake the scones 12-15 minutes until golden.
- Dust scones with powdered sugar before serving warm with the rest of your breakfast.
- Makes 3-4 big scones . . . recipe can be doubled!