Happy Thursday! What a great week it has been!
My dear sister flew out to visit for the last week. Since she’s never been to Cali before so we spent nearly every day out and about, site-seeing Los Angeles. For the first few days, I showed her all of my favorite beaches: Santa Monica Pier, Hermosa Beach and Albalone Cove Shoreline Park in Palos Verdes. Regretfully we had no time for Malibu, Long Beach or Laguna Beach — there are just so many sites to see in Cali! But these beaches were just perfect. Then we hit up the Hollywood hotspots: the stars walk, the wax museum and the Hammer museum!
Hope your week is going well, too. Today’s recipe is an easy, wholesome soup for the last cool days before summer. Feel free to change up the veg and flavors to your liking!
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 carrots, cut diagonally
- 1 cup cured sausage, diced
- 2 cups broth
- 1/2 cup barley, rinsed
- ~ 3 cups water
- 3 cups cooked white beans (2 cans)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- (optional) 1/2 tsp chili powder
- a handful of roughly chopped parsley
- In a large pot, saute celery, onion and garlic in a couple spoonfuls of oil until onion is translucent (3-5 minutes).
- Add carrots, sausage, broth and barley. Let simmer for 20 minutes before adding the water (as much as you think), and beans.
- After 10 more minutes of simmering, add the corn, green beans and herbs.
- After 5-10 minutes more of simmering, the soup is ready!