Happy Thursday! What a great week it has been!
My dear younger sister came to visit from Nashville, TN (our hometown) for the last seven days. Since she’s never been to Cali before, we spent nearly every day out and about, site-seeing Los Angeles.
For the first few days I showed her all of my favorite beaches: Santa Monica Pier, Hermosa Beach and Albalones Shoreline Park in Palos Verdes. Regretfully we had no time for Malibu, Long Beach or Laguna Beach — there are just so many sites to see in Cali! But these beaches were just perfect. A little chilly, but just perfect.
The rest of the week, sister and I hit all the tourist spots: The Wax Museum and Dolby Theater, UCLA/Westwood area, the Mall, the Hollywood Sign/Hollywood Hills, and a super cheap nail salon.
This visit was just as fun as when my high school friend came in town, except the weather was strangely cooler this week for being later in the year. It did rain one day while Sister and I were walking around Hollywood (we were soaking and cold to the core) so that could explain the cooler temps.
What’s the weather like in your town right now?
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 carrots, cut diagonally
- 1 cup cured sausage, diced
- 2 cups broth
- 1/2 cup barley, rinsed
- ~ 3 cups water
- 3 cups cooked white beans (2 cans)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- (optional) 1/2 tsp chili powder
- a handful of roughly chopped parsley
- In a large pot, saute celery, onion and garlic in a couple spoonfuls of oil until onion is translucent (3-5 minutes).
- Add carrots, sausage, broth and barley. Let simmer for 20 minutes before adding the water (as much as you think), and beans.
- After 10 more minutes of simmering, add the corn, green beans and herbs.
- After 5-10 minutes more of simmering, the soup is ready!