Hey guys! You’ve probably heard me talk before about Crabtree Farms in Chattanooga and my experiences there, along with some recipes I’ve made thanks to their plentiful harvest! Well, this year I have signed up to be in their CSA, which stands for Community Supporting Agriculture. This is different from just volunteering because once a week from May til November I will receive a box of freshly grown fruits and vegetables from their farm. I work 5 hours a week to earn this box, which is a steal to me (rather than paying for it). Here’s why:
5) I experience the satisfaction of knowing that I helped grow my own food (and others, too) and ultimately cutting grocery bills in HALF (eating healthy on a low budget is a reality!).
4) I am a part of children and adults learning about farming, cooking and eating healthy!
3) I work out, sans an expensive gym membership, in the fresh air and sunshine (can someone say “happy vitamin?”) and with friends.
2) I share wonderful conversations with some of the greatest, nicest and most passionate people.
1) My favorite: I take home and eat locally grown, ready-ripened, non-pesticide, QUALITY fruits and vegetables for the trade of working for them!
Ahh there are so many more reasons! But all this to say that if you have the chance, TAKE PART in a local farm, even if it’s just volunteering once a month! It will seriously change your life for the better. :)