Ah, blueberry season. What a wonderful time of the year!
Today my friend Rachael and I drove out to a Georgia farm to pick 2 gallons each of sweet, juicy blueberries. 2 1/2 hours later we succeeded. It was a nice time to catch up and enjoy the beautiful weather we Tennesseans have been having (80 degrees in July? Yeehaw!).
When I returned home, I froze some for smoothies, put a bag in the fridge for munching and gave a half bag to my friend who is staying with us for the summer. I also baked a batch of blueberry muffins that are featured on this post today.
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup 100% whole wheat all-purpose flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon (or all spice)
- 1 cup blueberries + 1/2 cup more for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350F and either line a 12-muffin pan with liners OR oil with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl - mix egg, vanilla, applesauce and milk.
- In a small bowl - mix flours, baking soda, salt, sugar and cinnamon.
- Pour half of dry ingredients into wet ingredients, stirring a few times and then add the rest of the dry ingredients, stirring a few times (but not thoroughly).
- Gently fold in 1 cup of blueberries being careful not to squish them.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins. Sprinkle more blueberries on top, pressing down slightly with the back of spoon.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes -- until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then remove muffins from tin and cool on a rack.
- Yield: 10-12 muffins