I hope everyone had a relaxing and happy day yesterday! Cobalt and I spent another year with his family, opening stockings, eating homemade eggnog cinnamon rolls, sharing presents and enjoying lunch with their grandmother. The day before my brother and his family graciously met hubs and I in town to take us to lunch and spend the afternoon with us; that was certainly a lovely surprise! We got to visit with both my nephews; one having turned a year old in Sept but whom we hadn’t seen since last Christmas. Next week we’re looking forward to the rest of my family coming through for a few days during New Year’s.
So in regards to comfort food (because holidays are all about comfort), I have a special recipe for you. Now — I could talk for a couple paragraphs about how gross, unhealthy and unnecessarily colorful boxed macaroni and cheese is, but instead I’ll just talk about how ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS AND EASY HOMEMADE MAC AND CHEESE IS :D Definitely a hit with the hubby!!
This is my recipe but feel free to modify to your liking :)
- 1 box wheat macaroni noodles
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 oz cream cheese (can use low fat)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sprinkles of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and dill
- Green vegetable of your choice (broccoli, spinach, peas, green beans...)
- 1. Cook macaroni according to box directions on the stovetop.
- 2. Drain off most of the water, leaving a few tablespoons remaining.
- 3. Turn the stove on medium low. Pour in the milk first, then the cheeses and the seasonings; stir until melted and well combined
- 4. Serve immediately, alongside vegetables of your choice. :)