(Sorry I don’t have a picture!)
Last year, my roommate and I made many meals together because we liked to cook and because it was cheaper to split the grocery bill. Below is a recipe we both really enjoyed:
SPICY CHICKEN TACOS
Prep time: 20 minutes after marinating chicken | Total time: 2.5 hours
- 1 package of 3-4 boneless chicken breasts = $3
- 2/3 cup of olive oil or canola
- Lime or lemon juice *optional but adds great taste!* – 50 cents per lime/lemon
- Spices – cayenne pepper, cilantro, salt, pepper, lemon pepper (or whatever’s in your cabinet)
- Shredded Mexican cheese, or whatever your preference – $3 (note: a block is usually cheaper than shredded)
- 1 can diced tomatoes or 1 cup fresh tomatoes – $1
- Lettuce of any sort – $1.50/bunch or pkg.
- Sour cream *optional* – $3
- 1 package 8-inch whole wheat tortillas (10 in each package) – $3
Total price = about $12
Makes: 6-8 tacos
1. MARINATE the chicken (The best time is in the morning, or the night before.). Cut up the chicken into small cubes and place them in a gallon zip bag. Add the oil and spices, wash your hands with soap, zip up the bag and leave it in the fridge.
2. After at least a couple of hours, COOK the chicken in a skillet until it is well done (the chicken will look entirely white inside aside from the speckled colors of the spices). This took us about 15-20 minutes.
Believe it or not, this was all the cooking that was required! The only other thing to do was to assemble the tacos. I did mine this way: Cheese, chicken, tomatoes – microwaved for 45 seconds to melt the cheese. Then added lettuce.