I love bread. But the process requires a lot of planning. If only there was a recipe for quick bread…But wait–there is! In walks Irish Soda Bread…
This bread takes at most 20 minutes to assemble, and 1 hour to bake. A perfect bread to whip up last minute when you have company over.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (or 2 cups all purpose + 1 cup whole wheat flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup white sugar (I reduced to 1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon salt (I reduced to 3/4 tsp)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk (I used 2% milk)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 325F. Grease a loaf pan.
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Mix egg and buttermilk together, and add all at once to the flour mixture. Mix just until moistened.
- Stir in butter (make sure the butter is cooled completely before adding! Otherwise it will scramble the eggs). Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the bread comes out clean (I baked mine for 55 minutes which was perfect). Cool on a wire rack in pan.
- Wrap in foil for several hours, or overnight, for best flavor.
- Due to the moistness of this bread, store in the refrigerator.