Last week was so much fun! Not being much of a touristy person, I probably would not have done any “touristy” LA things for years if my friend T hadn’t come in town and been so eager to visit the Hollywood sign, the TCL Chinese Theater (with handprints and stars), The Griffith Observatory, The Getty Museum and the Santa Monica Pier! I probably would have done the last three things at some point but mostly Cobalt and I just visit the beach closest to us, which is pretty clear on Sunday afternoons, and take walks around our neighborhood; we’re pretty laid back folks without much social life…
Regardless, the sight seeing was refreshing after having cabin fever the last few months (I have it more nowadays since being out of college). T and I ended up eating out at several local restaurants including a Thai place Cobalt and I frequent, which inspired me to make this Pad Thai dish this week.
I always thought cooking Pad Thai was a pain! And if you know me, I quite loathe recipes that take longer than 30 minutes to prepare or that have multiple steps. But after looking up some recipes, I realized this Thai dish is not much more of a pain than making spaghetti! :) So I ventured to make it for the first time…
Here’s what I came up with – a very delicious alternative to the original recipe — affirmed by my husband and his business partner! The fresh vegetables and spices add a liberating flavor that puts a smile on your face!
- 1 box whole wheat linguini OR 1 lb rice noodles
- 4 large carrots, shredded
- 2 green onions, sliced OR 1/2 cup slivered leeks
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup peanuts, toasted
- (optional for spice lovers!) 1 chili, diced OR sriracha sauce
- 3 TBS peanut butter
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup broth of your choice (chicken, beef or veg)
- 3 garlic gloves, chopped finely
- sriracha sauce (to taste) OR 1 small chili, chopped finely
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Start your pasta water. While waiting, begin preparing your toppings, setting them aside in separate bowls. Once the water boils, add your pasta and give it a brief stir. Cook the pasta to your liking or follow the directions on the back of the box.
- Then prepare your sauce - combine all the ingredients either into a small saucepan or microwavable bowl. Heat on low until boiling, stirring occasionally. OR microwave for 2-3 minutes, stirring every minute until mixture is bubbly.
- When noodles are finished, drain them in a colander in the sink. Return the noodles to their pot and pour the sauce over the top. Toss them in the sauce.
- Serve noodles immediately, letting your guests top their Pad Thai with the toppings provided!