Excuse the terrible picture – I was extremely hasty to eat this most delicious casserole with my husband and quite neglected to take the DSLR out versus my phone!
Some mornings you just want a little “umph” in your breakfast. Cereal just isn’t enough.
This breakfast casserole really hits the spot. Prepare it the night before and let it sit in your fridge overnight – baking it in the morning to wake up your family!
You will thank me, I assure you.
- 1/2 lb sausage, cooked
- 3-4 cups frozen hashbrowns (half bag)
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 red sweet pepper, chopped
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- salt/pepper/spices and herbs to taste
- 1/2 cup cheese for topping
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Spray a 9x9 pan (I used pyrex) with cooking oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the hashbrowns, red pepper and onion, tossing with your fingers.
- Pour half the hashbrowns into the casserole dish. Top with all the cooked sausage and finish with the rest of the hashbrowns.
- In the same medium bowl (which is now empty of hashbrowns), whisk your eggs and milk with spices and herbs of your choosing.
- Pour the eggy mixture over the hashbrowns/sausage.
- Bake casserole 35-45 minutes until the casserole isn't jiggly anymore and when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Top with shredded cheese. Turn off your oven and return the casserole to the heat for 5 minutes until cheese has melted.
- Serve immediately with a side of fruit :)