I love one pot meals. And I love Mac & Cheese.
This super simple recipe for cheesy pasta with kale is SO delicious and a much healthier alternative than the artificially flavored, chemically colored box of neon orange mac ‘n’ cheese.
It’s just as easy to make, too! You only have to clean one pot and one spoon!
- Whole wheat pasta of choice
- 1 8-oz pkg cream cheese (can use low fat)
- 3 TBS butter
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 TBS fresh or 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 TBS fresh or 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 leaves kale, finely chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- paprika or cayenne to taste
- Cook pasta to desired doneness.
- While draining, reserve half mug of water.
- Leave pasta in colander while saute-ing the onion and garlic in butter & oil in the pasta pot.
- Add chopped kale, pasta water; and herbs to pot.
- Return pasta to pot
- Sprinkle cheese over the top and mix thoroughly; heat until cheese is melted and the dish is hot.
- Serve with tuna patties or braised ham. (I have a recipe for tuna patties; you can search for it in the Search Bar of my blog)